Search is your friend

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

Poll: My thoughts on the Search Tool (19 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your thoughts on the Search Tool?

1. The Search Tool is my friend. (14 votes [63.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

2. I'm too lazy to learn how to use it, or too lazy to learn the right search terms. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I'm too dumb to use it. (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

4. I've read everything, used everything, and it still doesn't work. (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

5. I'm too impatient and just want somebody to give me immediate answers. (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

6. I didn't know it had those extra features. (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

Was this Tutorial helpful?

1. yes (13 votes [68.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.42%

2. no (6 votes [31.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 968forums

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

The Search Tool on this site is an excellent aid in finding information for which you are looking. It does, however, require understanding how it works, and what things help narrow results.

Also, it is only as good as the parameters you enter. If you enter the wrong term, it won't find what you want. You need to learn the correct terms for many things technical in nature. This requires doing some reading. We highly recommend poking around on the site and reading as much as you can. You will find this both informative, and of great assistance in understanding how the site works, where things are, and what has already been discussed.

To start with, ALWAYS click on the little gear next to the search bar. Never just use the search bar. By clicking on the gear, you will open the search area where you can then avail yourself of better search tools.

Next enter the word or words you want to use to search for something. Be as specific as you can. Remember that the broader the search words, the more unrelated results you will get.

Then, once you have figured out the words you want to use to search for something, choose whether or not you want the results in topics, titles, or both.

Use the "posted by" feature if you know who might have posted what you are looking for.

Choose what area in which to search (forums, members, etc).

Choose a category if you think it might be in a specific location. This will narrow your results.

If you know a window of dates something may have been posted in, enter that in the appropriate boxes.

Choose whether you want to see the results in topics or in posts. This can reduce the reading you might have to do in order to find what you are looking for.

We hope that this will help you to understand how to better use the Search Tool. It is actually very effective, when used properly. Used improperly, it is no better than trying to tighten a nut with a screwdriver.

#2 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

the poll results so far are pretty much as i expected. most people find it very helpful. some didn't know what it could do. now that they do, i feel confident they too will find it useful.

i find it difficult to imagine that, if everything has been read, so as to know what terms to use, and the tools fully utilized, that anything that is actually there cannot be found. if there is something, i would love to see examples. if there is something to fix, we can look at fixing it. however, so far, i have not had anything that i could not find, once i figured out what parameters to use. a search engine is a simple tool though. it has no bias, and unless it has a learning component (ours does not) does not work differently one time than the next. it's just all about knowing how to use it.

do i wish there were other things added to the search tool? sure. does it get the job done as is? so far, yup

#3 mbardeen

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • City:Talca
  • State:Chile
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The search tool has some rather large failings (even the advanced search). Specifically, searches that don't work as expected such as:
' "engine oil" best '
and
' engine oil best '

It connects each part of the search with an OR, so you get results that don't contain the word best, even though the ALL WORDS option is specificed in the search.

Add that to the fact that you have to wait 20 seconds between searches, so when you realize you searched for the wrong thing and go to correct it, you have to sit twiddling your thumbs.

For anyone who knows anything about search engines (I can find anything on google), it's just an excercise in frustration. So instead of wasting my time seaching for information here, I just go to google. I understand that it's a limitation of the software, but continuing to insist that it's operator error (like is insuated in the poll) is deeply insulting.

#4 Paul W

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • City:Chicago
  • State:IL
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:08 AM

I agree the waiting for the search engine can by annoying. Additionally, having to wait three minutes to post to the same post can be annoying also, considering only 5 pictures are allowed in each post. If this is a closed forum why have these rules?

#5 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • City:Denver
  • State:NC
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

mbardeen, don't get upset. This poll isn't serious, it's just a jab at the user population - calling them lazy and impatient.

#6 Eric_Oz_S2

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • City:Gone from this forum
  • State:Forever
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

I'm so used to using google now to search forums (except this forum that doesn't search) as it works so much better.

#7 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

it is not a jab at anyone.

the search engine works perfectly. you cannot expect it to find something that is not there. for example, there is no "best engine oil" so you won't find it. it indexes every word entered. it can find any word or word combination that has been entered. it will not find combinations that are not there.

it's only as good as what you put in it. garbage in - garbage out.

i will quickly address the other two points, and then get back on topic.
the 5 pictures limit is there because we really want you to use the gallery when there are that many shots, and not post within a thread. there is no reason to put more than 5 pictures in a thread. DIYs should be a pdf. everything else should go in the gallery with a link to it within the thread.

the time limit is to prevent spamming. if somebody managed to slip in, they could pollute many threads very quickly. we've seen it happen on other sites. that does not happen here, and for good reason.

back on topic

our search engine capability is certainly not like that of google, and never will be, but it works and works well for what it is. you just have to learn how to use it. i maintain that those who are having problems, just aren't applying themselves enough.

#8 bombfactory

968 Forums Fanatic

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • City:Huntington Beach
  • State:CA

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

My poll answer is: I didn't know it had those extra features! I didn't realize the 'little flower' to the right of the search field was clickable, and the key to enlightenment. Thanks Flash!

#9 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

no worries. i'm going to include the search tutorial into the site tutorial soon. i'm working on a number of additions to that. hopefully people will read it, and it will help them

#10 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I agree the waiting for the search engine can by annoying. Additionally, having to wait three minutes to post to the same post can be annoying also, considering only 5 pictures are allowed in each post. If this is a closed forum why have these rules?

Paul,

You write really good descriptive DIYs...sadly, they will be lost in the sands of time because of the way you write them. Your contribution to this site would be 100 times better if you would write your DIYs (with pictures) and submit them as pdf files.

JMHO,

Jay

#11 biosurfer1

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • City:Roseville
  • State:CA
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

"the search engine works perfectly. "

Of course it works perfectly, I bet whoever designed it thought of everything. :glare:

"but it works and works well for what it is"

Er...perfectly? or well for what it is?

"it's only as good as what you put in it. garbage in - garbage out."

jab jab jab jab

"i maintain that those who are having problems, just aren't applying themselves enough."

jab jab jab

Did you really start a poll so you could tell the people who voted they don't think the search works well how dumb they are, they're wrong it's perfect and they just aren't trying hard enough. :rolleyes:

#12 Bulti

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • City:Merksplas
  • State:Belgium
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

I think it works just fine. Sometimes even Google can't provide the answers you seek, so why would this search engine be perfect?

Too much whining, not enough searching.

#13 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

lol - people can take it how they want. the fact is that the search engine does exactly what it is supposed to. it doesn't do what it is not designed to do. it responds to what you input, and pulls all matches. if there are no matches, it won't respond. if you don't input the right stuff, you won't get what you want as a result. it won't give you "this might be it" results.

frankly i don't care if people use it or not. i didn't design it. it comes with the package. it works fine for everybody i know who has spent the time to figure out how it works, and to learn the terminology.

anybody who knows me, knows that i'll step right up and tell somebody they're dumb or lazy. at present i'm leaving it up to them to figure that out.

i'm so sick and tired of the whining from the cheap seats. i'm so ready to shut this place down, it's just silly. what do you want for free?

as soon as somebody wants to cut me a $42,857 check, they can decide how they want to run the site, and i'll be on my way. until then, buck up, learn the terminology and how to use the search engine, or shut the hell up.

#14 Bulti

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • City:Merksplas
  • State:Belgium
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

i'm so sick and tired of the whining from the cheap seats. i'm so ready to shut this place down, it's just silly. what do you want for free?

One should be careful to give too many negative comments. This is a non-profit initiative and so all the effort that goes in it is usually carried by a few very unselfish people.

Pretty much obvious. My humble opinion.

#15 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

One should be careful to give too many negative comments. This is a non-profit initiative and so all the effort that goes in it is usually carried by a few very unselfish people.

Pretty much obvious. My humble opinion.

Exactly, it's a free site run by people volunteering there time and dollars for no profit. While constructive observations are always welcome the constant complaining and griping gets a little old. It's free, it is what it is, we have to make the best of it for what it is.

#16 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

and let me stop to take a moment to thank, beyond all description, he who has been there all along helping us out

#17 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

Now, if we had $600 Million we could make a really good website...er, maybe not...

Jay

#18 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

Yes, I hear there is a pretty good company up in Canada that could make us a great website... :)

#19 ryker

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

I did not know about some of the additional search functions but it still worked for my needs. I'm looking forward to using these features.

I have to say that I have never posted to a forum before this one. I appreciate the requirement to post an introduction, as well as additional posts to access additional features, as these made me get out of my comfort zone and contribute.

Oh yeah, and I would like to thank the team of volunteers who run the site! (sarcasm intended, Flash)

#20 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • City:Mims
  • State:Florida
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

mmmphhh mmmpphhhh mmmpphhhh mmmpppphhhh

Duct tape is my friend - lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.